Hey mama! Are you struggling to make the most out of your day at home with your baby? Do you find it hard to even get the day started? Are the days all blurring together? 🙈🤣 I may be able to help!
Becoming a stay at home mom has been such a blessing to me. I always wanted to stay home with my kids and watch them grow. However, I didn’t expect to have so much trouble filling my time. Sure, you have lots to do…but there’s also almost TOO MUCH time. So much time you start to overthink everything, you become lazy, and lethargic. But you don’t have to! Over time I’ve learned what helps me be successful at home, and here are my tips:
1. Get up, change your clothes, shower if you need to, or just wash your face! Whatever it takes for you to feel like you’re starting a new day. Don’t skip this. I can’t tell you how much it helps as a SAHM. It can be so easy to convince yourself you don’t need to (especially if you’ve got nowhere to go) but it is life changing!
2. Have someone take your babe for an hour or so (if possible). When Aurora was around 6 months old, my sister was staying with us. She started taking Aurora on a walk in the stroller almost everyday and it helped SO MUCH, and gave me time to clean myself up and feel normal again. Eventually, my husband took over, and once I wasn’t so sleep deprived I started taking her on walks myself.
3. Give yourself tasks to do each day. I keep a basket of dirty laundry on the kitchen table every night, so that in the morning I know to start some laundry. It helps me get the day started, and makes me feel much more accomplished. Start with little tasks that you know you can finish & build from there!
4. One of my own personal rules: make sure you always do the dishes before bed! Waking up to a sink full of dirty dishes is not a great way to start the day (especially when you’re at home and around them all day)…so make sure you do this before you go to bed! You won’t regret it.
5. Lastly, try getting up before your kids. I can’t say I always do this. Lately I’ve been sleeping in with Aurora, but if you’re ever feeling out of sorts and angry…you need to give yourself some me-time, and that often isn’t possible unless you wake up before the whole house. Set your alarm for 5 or 6. Make some coffee and do all of your thinking/Instagram scrolling before the kids wake up. You’ll feel so much of a change in your mood, I swear!
I know these tips may seem simple to some of you, but if you’re a new mom and struggling to make a routine out of your day, or having trouble finding peace…I hope these tips help you like I discovered they did. Thanks for reading!!
XO – Elizabeth ❤️
Follow me on Instagram