For my daughter’s first birthday, I wanted to homemake her cake so that I knew exactly what went into it. We did an Apple themed party, so an applesauce cake was perfect, but most babies love apples and applesauce…so I assume it would be a crowd pleaser for anyone.
Also…I had several pieces of this cake once my baby girl was finished with it, and it could make a good fall spice cake for any event- not just for a baby! 🙂
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cinnamon applesauce
- 8 oz Philadelphia cream cheese
- 1/2 cup room temperature Kerrygold Irish butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Grease 2 6×2 round pans & set aside.
2. Combine brown sugar, butter, & eggs. Once fully combined, stir in applesauce.
3. Combine baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and flour.
4. Slowly add dry ingredients to applesauce mixture, stirring while adding.
5. Pour mixture evenly into 2 greased pans.
6. Bake for 15 minutes & remove cakes from pan once cool.
For icing, add all ingredients (at room temp) to mixer. Leave icing heavy for a fully iced look, or spread on thinly for a naked look.