This post is long overdue! I’ve had this list pretty much done since Aurora was about 2 weeks old. I pretty quickly learned which baby items I loved and which ones were completely unnecessary. Since A is my first baby I really had no idea where to start when it came to shopping. I made my baby registry when I was only in my first trimester so I could do my research and compare prices. Still…there are some items other moms will claim are “must-haves”, but seem crazily overpriced. What’s really worth it?! So here are my top 10.
- Snuggle Me– I wanted one of these since I first got pregnant, but put it off so many times because I didn’t know if it was worth the price. Then Aurora came and I was crazy tired all the time and every time I would put her down and get back in bed she would wake up. I just wanted to take a nap next to her SO BADLY. When I got my Snuggle Me she actually slept about 6 hours that night at only 3 weeks old. I woke up so worried! LOL After that she got used to it and started waking up for feedings again, BUT this sleeper makes her feel snug and cradles her like my arms would.
- Fisher-Price Auto Rock ‘n Play Sleeper– There’s a common theme in all of my favorite products here…THEY GET THE BABY TO SLEEP. Aurora loves her Rock ‘n Play. The rocking bassinet puts her to sleep especially when we can’t. It sits at an upright angle so it’s great if your baby has reflux (like A does). It plays music or nature sounds too! She also likes sitting here and hanging out with us in the living room- it’s portable and folds up tall and skinny so we move it around the house daily.
- Boppy Pillow– Whoever came up with this pillow was a genius. Breastfeeding is exhausting and any extra help to take the strain off of your neck and back is a plus. I have another nursing pillow, but the Boppy is stuffed much fuller so it’s sturdier for a baby to lay on. Aurora also loves sitting up in hers!
- Blooming Bath– I wanted one of these baths even before I knew I was having a baby. They are so cute! Your baby sits in a plush flower in the sink to take a bath! Since we have a shower but no bath tub, we really needed something like this. Aurora loves bath time and we’ve been using the Blooming Bath since she was a newborn. It’s not slippery at all for her to sit in and it’s easy to clean. I ring mine out and hang it to dry. Every couple uses I throw it in the washer and then dry it.
- Avent Soothies– Aurora just loves these. I’ve also tried Natursutten, but I think they’re just still too big for her mouth.
- Dove Baby Tip to Toe Wash– Again, this is just a favorite of mine. I think it smells the best out of all the baby washes and it is sensitive on her skin.
- SwaddleMe Swaddles– I’m all for pretty muslin swaddle prints, but in those sleepless nights, these Velcro swaddles are where it’s at. You can either swaddle your baby’s arms down, swaddle their elbows down and leave their hands out, or leave their arms out completely. During the day Aurora likes to be swaddle for naps with her arms out, but at night she sometimes needs her arms pinned down. They can’t getout of these as easily as the other swaddles so I got more rest knowing there wouldn’t be unwanted fabric that could cover her face! The SwaddleMe brand or Halo Sleep Sack Swaddles are what we use.
- Car Seat Cover– My favorite car seat cover is from The Baby Abode (linked). These covers have multiple uses, but I just use mine on the car seat. It helps Aurora calm down on walks or in public and have some privacy so she can fall asleep. I’ve had a lot of older women tell me they wish they would’ve had these with their babies! It definitely keeps people away from touching your baby or getting too close too.
- Baby Wrap– I just got my new Beluga Baby Wrap! I love baby wearing no matter what brand, but I was given a hand-me-down Moby wrap and was not impressed. So when I got my new wrap I was pleasantly surprised with how soft and stretchy it is! If you’ve never tried wearing your baby you definitely should. Aurora falls asleep immediately and it’s the best skin to skin bonding time.
- Lastly, I’m just going to say BURP CLOTHS. I don’t care what brand you get, but you need about a million of these (and I do laundry daily). Burp cloths for spit up, burp cloths for extra milk that will inevitably spray your baby, burp cloths for all the messy things. Just make sure you have burp cloths.
We aren’t into many toys yet, although Aurora does really like her play mat. I’ll probably do another post for her age when she gets a bit older/toys we got her for Christmas. Let me know if you have any suggestions or had the same success with these products as I did!